We Don't Back Down

Will I lose my medical license if I get a DWI?

On Behalf of | May 10, 2021 | Criminal Defense

The stakes are much higher for you if you get arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI) if you are a nurse, a doctor or someone else in the medical field who has a license to practice. Not only can you face fines, jail and lose your license to drive, you could also lose your professional license.

If you find yourself in that unfortunate position, how you react and respond during and after your arrest can have a great bearing on the outcome of your case. Let’s review the most obvious things to remember, first.

Cooperate with the arresting officer

Most police these days have body cameras that record all interactions with the public and those they detain. So acting arrogantly, attempting to resist or flee or trash-talking the officer is only going to reflect badly on you and your case for innocence. Even if you believe it’s a bad traffic stop or arrest, the time to dispute that is later. For now, remain silent and cooperate.

Get legal counsel immediately

Your criminal defense attorney can raise all the legal challenges to your arrest and may represent your interests when you go in front of the nursing board. Remember that an arrest does not automatically mean that you will be convicted. 

Be completely transparent

Never try to hide the fact that you got arrested from your employer. With today’s technologies, it is unfathomable that your arrest and/or conviction with go undetected. It is likely a term of your employment that you report any such arrests as well. Lying or failing to report could be grounds for immediate termination.

A DWI does not have to end your career

Even if convicted, you still can have a path to redemption. It might involve completing rehab and being supervised for a period of time. But the best outcome is not being convicted, so you and your defense attorney can focus on that primary goal.

Ramos & Del Cueto, can provide experienced and dedicated assistance if you find yourself in need of help. Call 210-761-6004 or use the form below to contact our firm immediately.